post archive

5 May 2015

Icosahedron cage

 My latest piece was begun & finished in one weekend - a scaled-up icosahedron lattice with a small dodecahedron imprisoned inside.

I been using the back side of the paper more in my recent pieces - the all-silver inner surface is a nice effect.

The little dodecahedron inside rattles loudly whenever the piece is moved. The outer icosahedron is very tightly wound, and the tension in the "beams" makes them very strong.

This is the first icosahedron lattice I've made at 1:8 scale (8 strips per square). I like the result - it has a nice heft to it. I've been thinking about designing pieces specifically to be hung outdoors; this one might work, though I'd replace the origami in the centre with something heavy, like a crystal or polished rock. I know the holographic paper is weatherproof - a small dual tetrahedron has been hanging outside my front door for over a year without any fading, cracking or unravelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment