post archive

13 May 2016

West Austin Studio Tour 2016

This year I'll be exhibiting some of my work at the Little Walnut Creek branch of the Austin public library as part of the West Austin Studio Tour. The official tour is over two weekends: May 14 - 15 & 21 - 22. However, my origami will remain on display at the Little Walnut Creek branch until the 30th of June.

Many thanks to Big Medium for including me in West 2016! I'd also like to thank Carlos Rodriguez-Brondo at Austin public library for hosting my exhibit and coordinating everything.

For some reason, they put me first in the entire catalogue! I certainly wasn't first when we were shown the proofs before the catalogue was sent to the printers.. if I recall correctly I was somewhere in the 300's. I hate writing artist bios, but if you're curious this is what the text reads: "Inspired by nature and mathematics, I created a novel form of modular origami composed of interlocking woven strips. This approach allows for absolute symmetry and high durability; the method of construction ensures that the structures will never sag or unravel, and will even support weight. My ambition is to scale up my designs to create architectural spaces, giving mathematical forms permanence."

Here is the the display case where my origami will reside for the next month. When I arrived to set up the installation, the purple peacock blanket was already in place for the previous exhibit, which was honouring Prince. I had to leave it in place, as it complimented my origami nicely.

I hope you can make it out to the Little Walnut Creek library by 30 Jun to see my display! The library is located at 835 W. Rundberg Ln., Austin TX, 78758.

No comments:

Post a Comment