post archive

18 Oct 2014

Icosahedron lattice

This piece is based around the icosahedron, with 20 triangular faces. There are 60 strips, half as many as my previous entry, the icosidodecahedron lattice.

The open structure certainly casts some interesting shadows.

I love how well these photos turned out - the sun was just minutes from setting behind my neighbour's house so I ran outside with the camera.

This design has a lot in common with a previous entry, the cuboctahedron lattice. The icosahedron has 5 edges meeting at each point, while the cuboctahedron has 4 edges at each point.

Both designs are about the same size, and actually have the same number of points - 12.

It's completely dwarfed by my previous entry, the large icosidodecahedron lattice, which used 8 times as much paper.

It fits right into one of the "cups" of the icosidodecahedron, as they have the same geometry.

This is a satisfying design to make; I will definitely be making more of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment