post archive

7 Jan 2012

Golden Star

This piece is very special to me - it was made as a present for my now-wife on our first date. She had yet to see any of my origami, so I wanted to make her something representative of my work.

This is one of my early designs, which I began folding in the mid-90's. If the shape looks a bit familiar, it's because I "borrowed" it from the Wolfram Research logo. My version is composed of 20 strips, and has 20 points.

I like to put these guys on strings, and they make excellent Christmas ornaments. In fact, I've probably sold more of this design than any other. I've thought about how to turn one of the points into a hole so that it could fit on the top of the tree, but I've not yet actually made one of those stars.

This particular star was made with just one 15x15 cm pice of origami paper, and is thus quite small. Normally I make them quite a bit larger, but at the time I made this, I had only one piece of this holographic paper left. Actually, I now prefer folding them in this scale. It's quite difficult to weave closed the tiny strips when finishing the model, but the effort's definitely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment