post archive

29 Nov 2011

Hello

Welcome readers! I'm starting this blog as a way to showcase my art: strip-based modular origami. I began creating these shapes in 1996, after seeing an image of a geometric modular design on a package of origami paper. I was too poor at the time to buy the paper, so I couldn't read the instructions on how to create it. Instead, I came up with my own technique involving strips of triangles that were woven together. When I finally bought the paper and saw how it was constructed, I preferred my own solution, which has been evolving ever since.

This first design is one I call the blade icosidodecahedron - the inside surface is an icosidodecahedron, from which flat facets project. This shape has zero volume (there are no enclosed spaces) and is quite strong.

From this angle you can see a bit more of the inside surface - each interior triangle is actually a tetrahedronal pocket.

This design is made up of 60 strips (and nothing else: no glue, etc.); 12 each of 5 colours. Conveniently, that works out to one package of this holographic "paper" with nothing left over. The resulting spheroid is about 4 in (10 cm) in diameter. I'm currently making one even smaller, which is proving to be fiendishly difficult! I'll post pics of that one once it's complete, which might take a while..

This piece was a gift for my mother, who has always supported my art. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Kudos from your little brother! What an honor to be the first follower and poster! The blade icosidodecahedron is a fascinating and masterful piece. I cannot wait to see more original origami!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support! Years ago you expressed interest in learning some of my designs - I'd be happy to teach you if we get a chance.

    ReplyDelete